Research assistantships (RA) with the coastal center are available for students that have already obtained their bachelor degree or are currently enrolled as a graduate student. RA positions are geared towards those that have already completed at least one internship, but are interested in further expansion of their skillset in the field. RAs should expect to hone their field skills, learn how to mentor & teach other students, and learn how to assist with research in the field. RA positions are HIGHLY competitive, but VERY rewarding! MCERC will provide a letter affirming acceptance into the position as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled as a graduate student.
- At least a 3 month commitment.
- A strong desire to learn new skills, mentor other students, and promote a positive attitude towards stewardship.
- An upbeat, hardworking and positive attitude is a MUST. The ability to take direction and live in close quarters with up to 10 people is key to a successful field season. Some of these field locations are remote, and require resourcefulness and patience!
- RA’s are expected to assist with tasks such as cleaning of the field station, making meals for everyone, equipment maintenance, etc. Expect to do a little bit of everything!
- Your own snorkel gear and laptop with windows (and be willing to load the required programs) to the project. Mac laptops will not be compatible with the software needed for these positions.
- If an RA is a resident in the location of their position, they are required to live at the field house with the team during the duration of their work on the project.
- Candidates for a research assistant position must complete 2-3 interviews (online or in person) prior to being accepted for a position.
Costs & Inclusions:
- Costs vary depending upon which field program you are interested in, but RA’s ONLY pay administrative fees ($100 – $300).
- Included is a bed in the local field house, three (3) meals per day during the duration of the course, and mentoring during the program.
- Round-trip transportation pickup from the field location’s local airport to the field house is included, as well as any transportation from the field house to the field sites in the area.
- Your airfare or transportation from your home to the field location (ie: from Houston to South Africa)
- Any required visas or documentation for international locations
- Spending money for incidentals or personal items
- Travel insurance & health insurance (this is highly recommended)
THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO RA OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE. Please check back often for updates!